One-anothering

Learning how to be a good neighbor implies that we need to be taught. I explained to my neighbors, as we gathered in our family room, that it is not my intention to teach them. However, that is not entirely true. I do want to teach others. There are some things that I've learned in my reading and in my experience, that I believe are valuable and worth sharing. I also know that all of my experiences, and everything I've read, has come to my conscious mind through a process of interpretation - a process which is not infallible. Therefore, all my knowledge is mixed with error. And worse, I'm not aware of where the error is. The best that I can hope for is to have "faith without certainty". I have to trust in the Tao, or the Spirit for enlightenment - but I can never hope to be fully enlightened. Every person has a measure of light. By gathering together, we are brought into a brighter environment. When we cut ourselves off from community, we live in darkness.

The point I wanted to make when I began this post (and promptly lost track of my original intent) is the importance of one-anothering. Yes, I want to teach, but I also want to learn. This occurs in our gathering as we teach and learn from one another. We can also enjoy one another, comfort one another, heal one another, confront one another, laugh at and with one another, pray for one another, encourage one another... perhaps all this one-anothering is included in the imperative: Love your neighbor as yourself.

Comments