Learning to Be Neighbors

Did you know that there are some people who still believe that the earth is the center of the universe? No amount of evidence can convince them otherwise - because all the "evidence" has been tampered with by the government. And some are pretty sure that our own government was behind the 9-11 incident. And of course, all this ecological crisis crap is a hoax devised by the liberals in order to justify tax increases. Oh yeah... those same liberals are trying to teach our kids that the earth is older than 10,000 years, and that Noah's ark is not resting on Mt. Ararat. I've got, and I can look at them as I sit here, a whole pile of books on my top shelf telling me that all the "evidence" for evolution is a sham. But, even after reading all them books, them damn liberals finally deceived me and I was led off the Narrow path and onto the Broad path when I followed Mr. Worldly Wisdom and accepted the science for evolution. (I found a copy of John Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress the other day - brought back some good memories.)

Well, my sarcasm is less than useless and probably harmful. If we don't think that there's something sick about the way we humans relate to our environment, then it should at least be extremely obvious that there is something sick about the way we relate to one another concerning whether there's something sick about the way we humans relate to our environment. I'm not going to try to figure out how we can save the environment - we're probably past the tipping point anyway. I'm meeting simply in my home with my neighbors, and together, some of us are trying to figure out how to get along with each other in spite of the fact that we belong to the wrong religion, the wrong race, we hold the wrong political views, and none of us are very smart. I'm hoping and praying that we can get a whole lot of other neighbors to do the same thing. And then, once we figure out how to get along, maybe we can do something about the environment.


"It is our task - our essential, central, crucial task - to transform ourselves from mere social creatures into community creatures. It is the only way that human evolution will be able to proceed."
- M. Scott Peck

Comments